Sunday, February 13, 2011

Wk 3 Art of Possibility Chapters 5-8

I started out as a PA at my company and then switched over to the edit side, the Yin to production’s Yang. So I loved the first chapter which seemed to be a lot about putting yourself in someone else’s shoes or using your knowledge to help someone else. I was one of the first PAs to ever make that switch and in just my first year as an editor, I was cutting the Super Bowl. That happened because we have intense, pressure-filled deadlines and if I’m editing with production in mind, it makes the whole process easier for everyone. I know what they want and I know what things slow them down.

However, “remembering rule #6” would not be a very useful mantra where I work. A major problem (especially for people coming in from another company) is the amount of intense hostility and shortness at times. You can’t just remember to not take yourself so seriously, you have 60 seconds to know whether or not you have video coming up. You can’t be relaxed. You have to be short, curt, and effective. Facts only. The difference here is that after that incident is over (or more likely: the show is over) you talk with the people involved and tell them no hard feelings. A good producer will work to rebuild after an ugly incident. But most people understand that it’s very serious, and the information has to be transparent and related quickly. Joke after the show, not during.

Not everybody can perform under pressure like that, and it weeds people out. I think that pressure is a good thing most of the time. You are working on instinct and it’s amazing what you can get done in a short amount of time. Now, I’m not like this in every facet of my life, but I am at work, and I am proud of that.

I will say, I did like the story about the two business partners…

The parts about nothing really being good or bad was very intriguing to me. I would say I’m an environmentalist, but when you think about it, what does that really mean? It’s really out of human selfishness. The same with NOT being an environmentalist. When you think about it, millions of species have become extinct. It’s the way of the planet. Greenhouse effects have heated the planet before. It’s the way of the planet. Is it bad for the planet if water levels rise? Not really. It’s bad for humans who have settled near those waters. I’m not advocating one thing or another, I’m just pointing out what book tries to: that good an evil are a human invention.

If anyone reading this hasn’t done so, I highly suggest listening to Bach’s Suite No.2 in D Minor as Chapter 8 talks about. It really is a beautiful piece of music. I suggest listening to Mischa Maisky’s version!

5 comments:

  1. @Bryan,

    I find it so interesting that you work under that kind of pressure. That would totally stress me out but you are correct some people can handle the pressure and some people can't. I agree with you about the nothing being really good or bad. Some people are environmentalist like yourself but is it wrong for someone else not to be an environmentalist? I guess not and yes Bach's Suite No.2 is fabulous. -Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bryan- I always find myself coming back to your blog. I love the way you are so communicative about tough subjects- you don't sugar coat things but you are not ugly about it either- just the facts!!! Your honesty is awesome! I was able to apply your blog post to my job situation. although I am a teacher, I find that sometimes my supervisor is short with me in words, really curt and to the point. The first couple time I was a little distressed. But she was able to come to me and explain that is just her personality and that she just answers the question. She won't build you a clock if you ask her the time. I liked that you pointed out that this is important in employee relationships.

    This book is very relaxing for me. I tend to bring my work and feelings home with me and so this book is helping me find the peace with letting go at the front door. But this book also challenges me to think differently, look at my teaching differently, and probably most important, increase satisfaction in home, work, and family relationships.

    Although I have a hard time listening to classical music, I will add Bach's #2 to my playlist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bryan,

    Once again, you have impressed me with your blogging talents! I totally agree with your thoughts on how Rule Number 6 isn't a universal way of thought in many professions. Yours is definitely no exception! I think that people can take things too serious to an extent, but there is a fine line with that and being professional with the task at hand. Especially in a job like yours, along with the stresses that come along with mine in being an educator today. As much as I like to think I can apply this rule to my life, if I am being completely honest, I know that there are times where the seriousness factor must be in place 95% of the time. Can you imagine not taking myself seriously the majority of the day with 30 6th graders?

    I also like your thoughts on not everyone being cut out for performing under pressure. I mean, you don't have to look any further than your boy Jim Kelly. Ok, ok, that was cheap shot. But you're exactly right in saying that performing under pressure is a good thing. If anything, making it this far in the EMDT program has proven that! Great stuff Bryan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bryan,
    I think I keep coming back to your blog because we have somewhat similar jobs and I find your commentary very interesting. During "live" events, the pressure can be very heavy and tempers can be an issue. The only thing I ask and look for during these times, is that everyone involved is pitching in and working as a team, leave your "ego" at the door and let's get the job done! I try to lighten the mood with a bit of humor and work hard to raise expectations. I think it helps to have a "thick skin" in the editing business. Everyone has their own ideas how a production should come together, as the editor you need to listen to these folks, take in their potential ideas (I get a lot of my best concepts from others) and learn to sift through them for the "nuggets of gold". By listening to others, I find it much easier to work everyone when it comes to "crunch time". Thanks for confirming some of my similar perceptions in this business.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting observations, love the media business POV. I think one way to think about the "there's no good or bad" is that however we might mess up the environment, that nature is always looking for balance that doesn't necessarily include us. :-)

    ReplyDelete